We are committed to processing, storing and using personal data fairly and lawfully in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018.
EU-only data centres
Student data is only stored and processed in EU data centres. It is secured between our servers and your browser using 256-bit SSL encryption.
Servers sit behind multiple firewalls within a VPC which is only accessible via a VPN. The database server is not accessible outside the VPC.
All data is stored in accordance with the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) 2018. Sensitive data such as passwords are hashed and salted.
Backed up every hour
Snapshots are taken daily and are retained for 7 days.
Primary servers are managed by Catalyst2 Services Ltd. Only our developers can access these servers.
How secure is my customer information?
Very. Below is more information. We take data security very seriously and have provided comprehensive details so you can understand what happening with your data.
Indigo is a digital service from Crimson Publishing Limited (company number 06255817) ("Indigo" / "we" / "our" / "us"). We take your privacy very seriously and are committed to protecting and respecting your privacy.
Where we refer to the “Indigo Website” in this Policy, we mean the website which can be accessed at https://indigo.trotman.co.uk, and where we refer to the “Indigo Platform” we mean the parts of the Indigo Website which you can only access if you have an account with us (including any updates or supplements to them).
Please read the following carefully to understand our views and practices regarding your personal data and how we will treat it.
Who does this Policy apply to?
This Policy applies to:
- “Visitor(s)” to the Indigo Website, i.e. someone who visits and/or uses the Indigo Website but who does not access the Indigo Platform;
- “Student(s)” using the Indigo Platform, i.e. someone who uses the Indigo Platform to help plan their further education or career, for example, to search and compare career profiles, educational courses, training and work experience opportunities and to draft and upload personal statements and CVs;
- “Teacher(s)” using the Indigo Platform, i.e. someone who uses the Indigo Platform in a teaching or supervisory capacity, for example, to provide feedback, opinions or comments on Students, to review Students’ activities on Indigo, and/or comments.
- “Other School Staff”, i.e. someone who has been given administrative access rights to the Indigo Platform and is using the Indigo Platform to administer Students’ use of the Indigo Platform and carry out supervisory tasks.
If you are a Student, Teacher or Other School Staff, Indigo will have entered into an agreement with your school or college (“your School”) for the use of the Indigo Platform (the “School Agreement”). This Agreement is equivalent to our Terms and Conditions which can be accessed at https://indigo.trotman.co.uk/page/2-privacy-policy. By using Indigo you are agreeing to these Terms and Conditions.
Which provisions of this Policy apply to you?
Unless we say otherwise, the provisions of this Policy apply to all Visitors, Students, Teachers and Other School Staff.
Data we collect from and about you
We will collect the following data:
Data you give us
You may give us data about you:
- when you request a demonstration of the Indigo Platform;
- when you use the Indigo Platform, for example, if you upload any data files or information that contains personal data (see further detail below);
- when you report a problem with the Indigo Website or Indigo Platform; and
- if you contact or correspond with us (for example, by phone, e-mail or otherwise) for any other reason.
We will clearly set out which information you must provide us with in order to sign up and use the Indigo Platform. If you do not provide us with this information, you will not be able to use the Indigo Platform. All other information is optional.
If you are a Student, your school:
- must provide us with your name and year group,
- may provide us with information about yourself (whether in a personal statement or CV, a record of an interaction with your Teacher, or otherwise), for example, your work experience, what educational courses, apprenticeships or training programmes or other activities you wish to undertake, any goals or skills that you wish to develop, your interests, hobbies and anticipated career path;
- may provide details of any further education you are interested in
- and/or employment you may consider pursuing; and
- may agree to participate in a video “case study” about the Indigo Platform for our promotional purposes, to be used on the Indigo Website.
If you are a Teacher, you:
- must provide us with your name, professional email address, school name, address, and telephone number,
- may tell us which Students and/or group of students you are responsible for;
- may provide us with information about yourself, Students, Teachers and others, for example, in feedback, opinions or comments you provide about Students, in records of interactions you have with Students or in target actions you require Students to complete; and
- may agree to participate in a video “case study” and/or provide written feedback on the Indigo Platform for our promotional purposes, to be used on the Indigo Website.
Data we collect about you
Whether you are a Visitor, Student, Teacher or Other School Staff:
- If you visit the Indigo Website or use the Indigo Platform, we will automatically collect certain technical information, for example, the type of device (and its unique device identifier) you use to access the Indigo Website or the Indigo Platform, the Internet protocol (IP) address used to connect your device to the Internet, your login information, browser type and version, time zone setting, browser plug-in types and versions, operating system, mobile network information and platform.
- We will automatically collect information about your visit to the Indigo Website including the full Uniform Resource Locators (URL), clickstream to, through and from the Indigo Website (including date and time), pages you viewed, page response times, download errors, length of visits to certain pages, page interaction information (such as scrolling, clicks, and mouse-overs), and methods used to browse away from the page.
Data provided by your School
If you are a Student:
- we will obtain information about you from your School, for example which tutor group and/or year group you are in and which Teacher(s) teach you to verify your eligibility to access and use the Indigo Platform and to allow your School and your Teachers to identify you when they use the Indigo Platform;
If you are a Teacher or Other School Staff:
- we may obtain information about you from your School, for example if you are a Teacher, the tutor group for which you are responsible, to verify your eligibility to access and use the Indigo Platform.
Uses made of the data
We will use the above personal data held about you:
- to enable you to use the Indigo Platform;
- if you are a Student or Teacher or Other School Staff, to carry out our obligations under the School Agreement and to provide you with information and services that you request from us;
- if you are a Student, Teacher or Other School Staff, to help us identify you and any accounts you hold with us (including verifying your eligibility to access and use the Indigo Platform);
- if you are a Student, to carry out research and statistical analysis, for example, so that we can provide your School with an analysis of Students’ use of the Indigo Platform;
- if you are a Student, to make suggestions and recommendations to you about educational courses, open days, internships, apprenticeships, job opportunities and other similar services and opportunities offered by third parties (including universities, other educational establishments and employers) that may be available to you and/or interest you. For example, we may use our databases to analyse the subjects you are studying and/or your academic performance, in order to propose university courses, internships, apprenticeships or job opportunities to you. We will only contact you via the Indigo Platform with such information if you have specifically consented to this. More information about this is set out below under the headings “Marketing” and “Legal basis for processing”;
- to deal with any enquiries, correspondence, concerns or complaints you have raised;
- for our internal operations, including data analysis, testing, research, statistical purposes and troubleshooting;
- to ensure that content on the Indigo Website and Indigo Platform is presented in the most effective manner for you and for your device;
- as part of our efforts to keep the Indigo Platform secure; and to notify you about changes to any element of the Indigo Website or Indigo Platform.
If you are a teacher, as mentioned above we would like to send you information by email and/or notifications on the Indigo Platform about services and opportunities from relevant third parties such as universities, other educational establishments and employers which may be of interest to you.
We will ask whether you would like us to send you these emails and/or notifications when you complete your registration on the Indigo Platform for the first time.
You can also manage your preferences by changing the privacy settings of your Indigo Platform account.
We will not provide your personal data to any other third-party businesses for marketing purposes.
Disclosure of your personal data
If you are a Student, we will disclose your personal data as set out below.
We will share some of your personal data with your School (including your Teacher(s) and Other School Staff) so that you can make the most of using the Indigo Platform. For example, your Teacher(s) will be able to see some of your personal data, including your name, personal statement and CV, details of courses and/or universities which you have searched for. We may also share details of any educational courses, open days, internships, apprenticeships, job opportunities and other similar services and opportunities offered by third parties (including universities, other educational establishments and employers) that are available to you with your School.
The information we share with your School may also be used by your School and by us for analytical purposes and to administer and facilitate your School’s use of the Indigo Platform, for example to give your School an impression of how it is supporting its Students.
Your School and/or your Teacher(s) may choose to upload certain types of information to the Indigo Platform which they do not want to share with you, for example, notes on your progress for other Teachers. This information may include personal data about you. Please see the section headed “Your rights” below for details on your right to access any personal data which we hold about you.
If you agree (by clicking the relevant button when you register to use the Indigo Platform), we may share with your School some of your personal data after you have left school, being your name, email address, year of leaving school, and the course, university or apprenticeship you joined, so that your School can contact you about its alumni programme, for example to send you school news; invitations to events, reunions and networking opportunities; information about work experience, job opportunities and fundraising; and requests to speak at its events. We will rely on your consent as the legal basis for sharing this personal data with the School. You can withdraw your consent at any time by changing the privacy settings of your Indigo Platform account, by emailing us at [email protected], or by notifying the School, either by email or by using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of its messages.
Whether you are a Visitor, Student, Teacher or Other School Staff, you agree that we may share your personal data with the following categories of selected third parties in accordance with this Policy:
Legal basis for processing
For some of the uses of your personal data (as described above) there is a legal basis under applicable data protection laws for us to use such personal data without your consent. This includes, for example, where it is necessary for us to use the information in order to provide the Indigo Platform to you or where we have a legitimate interest to use it (a) to understand how the Indigo Platform is used and by whom; (b) to improve the Indigo Platform and ensure it is secure; (c) for statistical and analytical purposes; (d) for testing and troubleshooting or (e) to carry out surveys and research.
Where this is the case, this Policy fulfils our duty to process personal data fairly and lawfully and in a manner that you would expect given the nature of our relationship with you or your School, by giving you appropriate notice and explanation of the way in which your personal data will be used.
Where consent is required for our use of your personal data, by ticking the appropriate consent box or otherwise communicating your consent (for example, by email), you consent to our use of that personal data as set out in this Policy. For example, we will only process your personal data for marketing purposes if we have your consent to do so.
You can always change your mind about our processing of your personal data. If you change your mind you can update your account settings within the Indigo Platform, or contact us by email at [email protected], or in respect of marketing messages you can unsubscribe by using the unsubscribe link at the bottom of those marketing messages.
Where we store your personal data
If your School is based outside the European Economic Area ("EEA"), the information that we collect from you may be transferred to, processed and stored in the country where your School is based, if it is necessary to do so in order to provide the Indigo Platform to you and/or to fulfil our obligations in the School Agreement. In such circumstances, we will take all reasonable steps to ensure that your personal data is treated securely and in accordance with this Policy.
If your School is based in the EEA, we will only process and store your personal data in the EEA.
All information you provide to us is stored on secure severs. We will use technical and organisational measures to safeguard your personal data.
Where we have given you (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access the Indigo Platform, you are responsible for keeping that password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone else.
Unfortunately the transmission of information via the Internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal data, we cannot guarantee the security of your data transmitted via the Indigo Platform; any transmission is at your own risk. Once we have received your personal data, we will use strict procedures and security features to try to prevent unauthorised access.
Retaining personal data
We will retain the personal data we receive or collect about you for the period reasonably required for us to use it in accordance with this Policy or in accordance with our legal rights and obligations. We may need to retain some of your personal data for 6 years after you stop using the Indigo Platform, for legal reasons, for example, in case you or your School make a complaint. Non-personal information can be stored indefinitely.
If you are a Student or Teacher, unless we inform you otherwise (or you request that we erase your personal data), we will retain your personal data on record for as long as you continue to use the Indigo Platform. If you do not use the Indigo Platform for 4 years then we will delete your information. We hold onto your information for this 4-year period so that you can continue to access useful information, such as personal statements and CVs, after you or the Students you teach have left school.
You have the following rights with regard to your personal data:
You have the right to obtain confirmation as to whether or not your personal data is being processed, and, if it is, request access to that personal data. We will need you to prove your identity before we release any personal data to you.
Rectification or erasure
You have the right to request that we rectify or delete any personal data that we hold about you (unless we have the legal right to retain it).
You also have the right to restrict us from processing your personal data if the data is inaccurate, the processing is unlawful or we no longer need your personal information for the purposes of the processing.
Change of preferences
You can change your data processing preferences at any time. For example, if you have given your consent to us to making suggestions and recommendations to you about educational courses, job opportunities, internships, open days, etc, but have changed your mind, you can contact us using the details provided below or clicking the relevant link in any communication you receive.
If for any reason you are not happy with the way that we have handled your personal data, please contact us. If you are still not happy, you have the right to make a complaint to the UK’s Information Commissioner’s Office.
In some circumstances, you have the right to request a copy of the personal data we hold about you, in a structured, electronic format, and to transmit such data to another organisation.
Please note that if you ask us to stop processing your personal data in a certain way or erase your personal data, and this type of processing or data is needed for you to use the Indigo Platform you may not be able to use the Indigo Platform as you did before. This does not include your right to object to direct marketing, which can be exercised at any time without restriction.
If you would like to exercise any of the rights mentioned above, please contact us by emailing us at [email protected].